Participants Eligibility Requirements:
Retired Military and Veterans
Service Members assigned to Wounded Warrior Battalions or Warrior Transition Units, pending discharge
Designated Areas of Service:
Deputy Executive Director, Operations & Information Technology
Wilmington, NC (National Reach)
Since 2008, paws4vets has placed for free over 250 of the world's most highly trained Service Dogs with Veterans living with PTSD, TBI, Military Sexual Trauma/Sexual Trauma, Moral Injury, and physical disabilities. Using our proprietary K9-centric Post Traumatic Growth® training process known as Intervention Transfer TrainingSM (ITT), Veterans are taught how to use their Service Dogs to control, regulate, and mitigate® their symptom sets, which
transforms, and in most cases, saves their lives.
paws4vets Service Dogs help our Veterans by:
* Alerting to onset of escalating anxiety.
* Controlling, regulating, and mitigating their stress, panic, and anxiety.
* Decreasing hyper-vigilance.
* Aiding with sleep.
* Alerting to startle-reflex triggers.
* Performing behavior interruption for flashbacks, nightmares, and night terrors.
* Finding/retrieving misplaced or specific items.
* Opening/closing or turning on/turning off different items.
* Performing tasks for schedule regulation.
* Calling 911 and open doors for emergency personnel.
* Providing balance and mobility assistance.
* Performing hearing alerts.
paws4vets is a program of paws4people, a fully accredited member of Assistance Dogs International. Headquartered in Wilmington, North Carolina, paws4vets serves Veterans throughout the United States.