Wilmington, NC (National Reach)
Since 2008, paws4vets has placed for free over 250 of the world's most highly trained Service Dogs with Veterans living with PTSD, TBI, Military Sexual Trauma/Sexual Trauma, Moral Injury, and physical disabilities. Using our proprietary K9-centric Post Traumatic Growth® training process known as Intervention Transfer TrainingSM (ITT), Veterans are taught how to use their Service Dogs to control, regulate, and mitigate® their symptom sets, which
transforms, and in most cases, saves their lives.
paws4vets Service Dogs help our Veterans by:
* Alerting to onset of escalating anxiety.
* Controlling, regulating, and mitigating their stress, panic, and anxiety.
* Decreasing hyper-vigilance.
* Aiding with sleep.
* Alerting to startle-reflex triggers.
* Performing behavior interruption for flashbacks, nightmares, and night terrors.
* Finding/retrieving misplaced or specific items.
* Opening/closing or turning on/turning off different items.
* Performing tasks for schedule regulation.
* Calling 911 and open doors for emergency personnel.
* Providing balance and mobility assistance.
* Performing hearing alerts.
paws4vets is a program of paws4people, a fully accredited member of Assistance Dogs International. Headquartered in Wilmington, North Carolina, paws4vets serves Veterans throughout the United States.